Monday, December 12, 2011

December 9 - Time to Vamoose


After pushing the envelope of our welcome in Queenstown we decided to mosey on to our next unknown destination. Cynthia had a plan (as girls often do) and we went off in that direction. Her course was sort of figure eight shaped with a double back flip. We didn't make it very far before I sort of straightened the route out a little bit.

We headed east back to Cromwell. I wanted to visit a couple fly shops there since the only place in QT is run by a bunch of...well lets just say that you won't get out of there without leaving a pint of blood and your firstborn. For example, my stove that I brought is currently selling at REI for $90. QT price $214. Can you say monopoly?

But first, lunch. We decided on Thai. We had already eaten at the Thai restaurant we chose just a few days earlier. On that day I asked them how their "heat scale" went. "We have mild, medium, hot and Thai hot" she said. "Ooh...Thai hot. Gimme that one".

Well our meal came and it was totally lame (hot-wise) so I went up and complained. She said "wasn't there extra chili on the side?". "What? Those crumbs? I could snort that!" So she brings me a side of chili and I slathered it on in front of her. So there...all's well.

This time we ordered the exact same things except we switched; pad thai for her (hot) and green curry for me...Thai hot! It was a different girl this time when I ordered. "Thai hot" I says. She sort of checks my skin color out and says "Thai hot?" questioningly. "Thai hot".

I took that first loving bite and I thought my face was going to explode! It kind of reminded me of an ancient Roman torture I heard about where they pour molten gold down your throat. "How is it?" she asked. "Perfect" I wheezed. I was determined to devour every manly bite. Cynthia was giving me the kind of look you give someone who has just fallen down a flight of concrete stairs. "Want a bite?" I gasped. "No thanks".

Every time Cynthia reached for the water pitcher I shot her a dirty look. I wasn't going to give the Thai girl the satisfaction of having me beg for another pitcher of water. I did manage to finish, thank you very much, and I finished up Cynthia's 4-star pad thai as well. It was like eating a York peppermint patty by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment