Thursday, December 1, 2011

November 25, DEET - It's Not Just For Mouthwash Anymore

The morning dawned bright and sunny. After a great breakfast of sticks and seeds we were just about loaded up when Cynthia walks in and says "what's this crap all over?" She had red stuff on her hands, shirt, hat, pants...

On closer examination, the bottom of my day pack was covered in red sticky stuff. I suddenly realized the large jumbo size spray bottle of 100% DEET insect repellent had emptied itself inside one of the pockets of my pack. The bottom portion of my pack unclips to form a separate waist type pack (can't say the f___y word here) so I whipped that off and tossed it outside.

The red sticky pack was bad, but not as bad as when we tracked down the source of the red stuff. It seems that we had tossed the pack onto a brand new leather-like material easy chair in the room and the red (more like burgundy) was the chair's finish!

The DEET had removed, no dissolved the material coating down to the fabric backing! I wiped it down with a wet cloth but it wouldn't come off and it was sticky. I explored the possibility of just flipping the cushion over (didn't want the next tenant to sit in it) but the underside was fabric with Velcro. I decided to fess up so I pulled the cushion off the chair and went to the front office to admit my guilt. I felt really bad. Not only because I had ruined a good chair, but because I couldn't see any solution but to buy a new one. It's not like Westport is the upholstery capital of the world.

Grandma was minding the store while her daughter and son-in-law (or son and daughter-in-law) went away for a couple days. She didn't know what to do so I just left my mobile number and credit card number and dreaded the Monday call.

In the mean time I took the pack into the shower with me and scrubbed the hell out of it and it seemed to take the sticky out. I strapped it onto the spare tire of the rig and set off down the road. Kind of makes you wonder what this stuff does to your skin.

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment