Sunday, January 1, 2012

Loganburn


After leaving Dunedin we headed for a place called Loganburn reservoir. Loganburn is northwest of Dunedin in the high tussock country. It is a beautiful and peaceful place, and you can drive across the tussock to the shore as long as you don't find a mud bog. We steered clear of those and were able to make our way to the shoreline where we set up camp.



And as the sun slowly sets, Cynthia slips into a coma...




From my Nikon Space Telescope





Some time in the middle of the night I hear "Chuck, Chuck...I think the water is getting closer!"

I'm pretty sure that the tide isn't coming in. As it turns out, one of the infamous Nor'westers came up during the night and the placid waters were now breaking on the shore. "Don't be ridiculous...go back to sleep!" After I heard the heavy breathing I secretly opened the door to the tent and scoped things out with my torch.

The next day was beautiful except for the 30 mph winds, so we decided to see if we could find Lake Onslow through the back door. What a disappointment. As open as Loganburn was, Lake Onslow was closed. It is surrounded by farmland so the whole thing is fenced in. There's only one place for public access. Because of that, I'm boycotting the lake so no pictures!



The beauty of being the driver. There was probably 20 of these between Loganburn and Onslow




Tapanui Police Department




Waikaia is home to the Waikaia Museum and Bottle. The giant bottle is constructed with more than 20,000 Australian wine bottles


Since I had had such a great fishing day on the Waikaia river, we decided to try it again. Remember how it was last time? With not another soul around? Enter Christmas holidays. When we drove up there this time there were cars, trucks, ATVs, caravans, motorcycles roaring up and down the roads. The bushes had been tromped flat on both sides of the river by fishermen. The first time we were there I either spooked or spotted at least 25 fish. This time I saw 3.


Back to Gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment