Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Adversity

Fun Fact: Click on any photo for a full-size look.

 We all have our crosses to bear. Some people are crippled. Others retarded. Some married. But somehow we all manage to pull through. Some find inspiration through prayer. Others are boosted by the knowledge that lepers and other Democrats have it far worse than themselves; allowing them to have the “ha ha” factor. I myself have met with severe adversity on this trip, but somehow I will overcome. I know that I’m getting stronger every day.
And with the love and encouragement of my wife I will persevere. I just have to face the reality that this is my kitchen:

Note the bathroom door frame in the foreground in this one:

Well, another wonderful day in Auckland. Pouring rains and driving winds. Walked around still looking for equipment for our trip south. Thought we might like to eat some food on our travels so went to the mountaineering store again to look at stoves. I think they’re up to something like $500 an ounce (based on the spot market price on the London Gold exchange). I think the hiking industry is on to something. Except for bikinis I can’t think of anything that the lighter, and smaller and skimpier it gets, the more it costs. Let’s look at tents. There was this nice comfortable tent that weighs about 7 pounds and costs $249. Then the one right next to it that weighs 11.3 ounces (you need one for each leg) costs $963.49. We didn’t buy a stove. I’ll just take some matches.

Down on Hobson Street we found this really cool Army surplus store. There were 3 or 4 used down coats that were tossed out by the American Expedition in Antarctica. They’re kind of ratty and stained, but they have this really cool patch on the front that says “United States Antarctic Expedition” and they have real grease that was actually at the South Pole. $187. I’m thinking of getting one.

Total trip cost to date: $5,550.55 USD

No comments:

Post a Comment