Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 24th, Journey to Dargaville


We checked out of the apartment promptly at 10 am and hit the road for the 3 hour drive north to Dargaville (pop. 4600). The main reason for this is Kai Iwi lakes. These are 3 very deep sand dune lakes holding 4-5 lb. trout (they say).

On the way we stopped at a town called Wellsford for lunch. We decided on fish and chips so stopped at the first place we saw. We went in and you guessed it, run by an Asian woman. Well I was bustin' for the restroom after the drive. I asked her where it was. "Lestloom, what is lestloom?" she said. I replied, "You know...the TOILET."
She looked at me and said "McDonards". "What?" I asked. "McDonards. You go. You go now".

There were a couple guys standing around so I asked if they could understand what she was saying. I thought she said McDonalds. "McDonalds?" They asked. We stepped outside. He points down the highway about a half mile. "You see the Caltex station?" "Yeah". "Well it's across the road from there.” "You mean I have to get in my car and drive to a place to take a piss?" That was Wellsford.

There was a huge storm last night. I'm glad we were in a motel instead of camping. I'm going to try the lake as soon as possible. Tonight we're moving to a place where the rooms are converted railroad cargo shipping containers. I may have to start posting this blog in bursts, since I don’t know when I will have access to the net. 

Total trip cost to date: $11,416.02 USD

No comments:

Post a Comment